14 February 2007

Is it over yet?

It was one of "those" days. You know the kind. The days when everything you do turns instantly to shit as soon as you touch it? Yeah. Those days.

I got up at 6AM to do some work-work. I suppose that was my first mistake. And then I had a decaf coffee. Mistake No. 2.

From there, things just sort of disintegrated. I dropped stuff (not Ms. Baby, lucky her). I broke stuff. I couldn't seem to talk straight. Work got weird.

And then I tried to make lunch. And I burned pasta. Burned. Pasta. I didn't actually know that was even possible.

And had I been paying attention, I would have taken that as a sign and NOT tried to go to the store to get milk (which we were - and still are - out of). It was a disaster and we never even left the driveway.

Picture this: Kids in car. Kid paraphenalia in car. Mommy in car. Keys in house. House locked.

House locked. Keys in house.

And I mean ALL the keys - house keys, car keys, work keys, what-the-fuck-does-this-go-to keys - all of 'em.

It was 20 degrees outside and snowing and I'm sitting there in the car - keyless - and all I could say was "Oh no, oh no, oh no". By some miracle the car was warm-ish inside, so I left Ms. Four and Ms. Baby in there and walked around the house, repeatedly, trying every door and checking every window. No luck.

I tried to pick the lock with a diaper pin. No luck.

I tried to pry open the garage doors. No luck.

I tried The Force. No luck.

I considered the cat door. No way.

Desperate, despondent and finally realizing that the brain was clearly on strike today, I called the mothers-in-law. Both of them. They both said don't break a window and both offered to come pick us up. Having no choice, since The Husband had jury duty and was in the middle of some trial (no, actually, I'm not making that up), I agreed to be rescued. Just as we arrived at mother-in-law's house, The Husband called. The Situation was explained and arrangements to retrieve his keys were made and carried out. Three hours later, we were reunited with the keys and back inside the house.

And that should have been the end of the story, because isn't that enough already?

But wait. There's more.

The Husband finally got excused for the day and came home with roses for me and Ms. Four, (it was Valentine's Day, after all). All smiles, I took the roses to the kitchen sink to put them in water. Nice, cold, fresh water. I had to use the sprayer, because the damn sink was so full of dishes (stupid sink), and somehow - don't ask me how - I managed to squirt myself in the face with the nice, cold, fresh water.

Fitting end to the day, non?

10 comments:

Queen K said...

Oh honey!!! What a day! I've had 'em myself, but minus the two hangers-on with needs and fusses all their own. Thank goodness Katie is such a good kid and didn't throw a fit during all of this. Yikes. I really DO need to move down there for a while so I can make lunch for you and have a set of keys around the corner from you.

Bethanie said...

Oh, please do!! If only I could think of what to do with Asperagus, we'd be all set, right? :)

Queen K said...

Pretty much! She's the big sticking point, though honestly I don't have the energy to pack all my stuff up and sell the condo either. Sigh. If only I'd known this would happen when I bought all this stuff...

Bethanie said...

Could you rent the condo, instead? And we can help with the stuff when we're there this summer (or maybe sooner, if your schedule calls for it??).

Leslie said...

5 syllables
sounds like...
cat-up-in-a-tree

I know y'all are talking as if it couldn't happen, but why the heck couldn't it? (Aside from location being Hell) Fresh start for one, much needed sanity check for the other - how hard would it be for the kitty to move? Even to Hell...

I'm jusy sayin'

Bethanie said...

Well, the problem isn't the kitty - it's the kitty's grandpa, whose house the Queen would be occupying. Grandpa is deathly, deathly, deathly allergic to cats (and doesn't like them besides), so the cat can't be in the house, because then when grandpa comes to visit he'll wheeze and sneeze (and glower at the poor puss whenever he's not). Kitty can't live at my house, because I already have two jealous cats who don't like strangers -- all of which leaves us rather far up the creek and paddle-less.

Any brilliant ideas?

Queen K said...

If I had a cat-less friend who would want to cat-sit for a few months it might be perfect, because I can only see myself going to Hell for a few months as a break and change of scene. She's a skittish girl though and I wouldn't want to hand her to just anyone. I'm really blaming it all on her, when the packing of the stuff is a major consideration as well, especially given the limited time I'd want to stay. Were Nashville a long-term option I think I'd be more willing to work it all out, but I can't imagine being there for a year, let alone several. Sigh. Move here, please! :D

Leslie said...

Ah, I see. I was thinking Queen K would be living in her own digs, but that doesn't make sense short term.

unless...

Is there a college nearby? Might she be able to sublet for a summer? I did that a few times - once for a prof. and once for a student, and it was perfect in its limitations and expectations. That jibes with the June deadline and the limited-time-in -Hell desires and even, maybe, with the kitty. No help with the packing, though. My brain can only juggle so many details at a time.

Now, if I could only turn these magic problem-solving, decision-making capabilities to my own life, everything would tidy up nicely. It's so much easier to tell other people what to do!

Okay, I'll shut up now.
-L

Vanessa Ruiz said...

Wow, great blog. It's actually nice to read about someone's life rather than reading about the medical world and art all day. Makes me feel better about myself....just a little.
Thanks for adding Street Anatomy to your 'Brain Food.' Don't judge my writing though, I'm a medical illustrator, not a medical editor...you guys intimidate me...just a little.

Bethanie said...

Vanessa - Thanks! I won't judge your writing if you don't judge my "art". :) (I'm seriously stretching myself to stay in the lines on my anatomy coloring book - seriously!) And you're welcome for the link - least I could do for such an interesting blog!