17 December 2009

Publishing Crooks

OK, this will be brief, but this is an issue that really burns me up.

I got an email in my Inbox this morning from Wiley-Blackwell, publishers of all sorts of books. I'm on some mailing list they have and get these periodically -- it's basically an ad for news books. I don't mind it, because I love any and all forms of books.

Including eBooks.

Typically, the actual content of these ads don't interest me enough to click through, but this one caught my eye. So I clicked. I salivated over the Description. I drooled over the Table of Contents.

I frowned at the price tag. And then I saw this:

Other Available Formats: Adobe
E-Book


I cheered! I clicked! I had a small myocardial infarction at the price of the E-Book -- which was the same as the fucking hard copy!!!


What. The. Hell.


Seriously?? You're going to charge me $45 for a fucking computer file?? GET WITH THE PROGRAM, PEOPLE!!!


It costs you almost nothing to produce a PDF file. Yes, OK -- you have to recover the cost of setting it up, etc., but once it's set up you don't have to pay for paper, ink, and printing machines to print it. You don't have to pay to ship it to a retailer. You don't even have to pay to ship it to me directly! At least give me a friggin' discount!!!


Arrgh! It's no wonder the major players in the publishing industry are spiraling the drain -- with attitudes like this, they deserve to.


There. I have spoken.

4 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, this has become a raging debate. The closest I'm going to go to it is to point out you can buy both my books in e-format for the price of one print book. Minus a few pennies. And shipping.

That should speak volumes on my stance on the issue.

Bethanie said...

See! There is still common sense in the world!! And Susan has proved it - thank you, Susan!

Bethanie said...

and you know what, Susan? putting it that way, the Demo Tapes were too good a deal to pass up. just bought 'em. :)

Blasé said...

You seem to be smart about this type of subject!