29 August 2007

Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away

It's raining. Actually raining. As in, wet stuff falling from the sky. It's the craziest thing.

I mean, not counting a couple of 5-minute cloudbursts, it hasn't rained here in Hell in months (er, not that you'd expect it to, I suppose). It's been so hot and so dry for so long, it was starting to feel like it was never going to rain again.

Now that it has, everyone is quite confused and nobody really knows what to do with it.

It started this morning. It was only sprinkling when I left for work at 6AM, but I stood there, looking up at the sky, amazed and reveling in the feel of it on my face. All of a sudden, from directly behind me, came this massive rustling sound and this huge flock of birds - silent, except for their frantic wingbeats - went rushing past me about 30 feet overhead. I couldn't help thinking they were young birds fleeing from something totally unknown to them.

I opened the door just now so I could listen to it falling and it sounds weird. It took me a minute, but I figured out why: it's the rain hissing on the dead grass and all the dead leaves that have dried up and fallen off the trees. I wonder if this rain is too little, too late for the trees. Have to wait and see, I guess.

No comments: