05 May 2007

Brilliance Lost

So I sat down at ye ol' keyboard last night to write a brilliant blog post that had something to do with the safety of the food supply.

This isn't it.

No, that post has gone the way of so many others in this sleep-deprived state I call my life. Here's what happened:

It was a wonderful, thundery evening. Just the occasional flash, the occasional far-off rumble, and a soft, relaxing rain.

Perfect! thought I, I shall write!

After we put the kids to bed.

Ms. Baby was tired. Too tired. When Ms. Baby is too tired, she refuses to sleep. I don't know why but she just fights it and fights it and wants to sit in my lap in the rocking chair and look out the window, occasionally looking back up over her shoulder to make sure I'm still there (which, of course, I am, because where the hell else am I going to go).

And before anyone starts in with the sleep advice, don't bother. We've tried everything, nothing works, and that isn't the point of this post anyway.

No, the point of the post is this: The Husband put Ms. Four-soon-to-be-Five to bed and came in to relieve me of Ms. Baby.

So far, so good.

Finally free of the baby appendage, I sat down at ye ol' keyboard. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and relaxed to the gentle pattering of rain, the less-far-off rumbling of thunder and the occasional brilliant flash-behind-the-blinds. Lovely.

Not five minutes later, I heard a voice.

No, it was not it my head. How I wish it had been.

No, no, it was Ms. Four-soon-to-be-Five calling, softly at first. "Mama... Mama..." then louder and louder, not in rising panic, but so she could be heard above a not-far-off-at-all bang of thunder, "MAMA...MAMA!!!"

I rushed down the hallway, dove into her bed and we snuggled and talked for 10 minutes or so about how thunder is just clumsy clouds bumping into each other. She relaxed and asked if I would stay for a while so she would feel safe. I said I would.

Then she started to ramble on about something else, in order to keep herself awake, so I used my Serious Voice, "It's not time for talking right now, it's time for sleeping."

I decided to demonstrate.

Eyes closed, slow breathing, relax the body.... I woke up 2 hours later.

And that's where the brilliant blog post about the safety of the food supply went. Perhaps it will come back sometime later today... or perhaps not...

2 comments:

Leslie said...

You are a wise, patient and good mamma.

Bethanie said...

And I got a nap to boot! :-D