03 July 2008

Check-In: Big, Fun, Scary Adventure Challenge

So, it's July, which means we're 6 months into this year's Big, Fun, Scary Adventure Challenge.

It's time to check in and see how Bethanie is progressing. Or isn't progressing. As the case may be.

Here's the list. And how I'm doing with it.

  1. Complete and submit one short story. This was on the list? Er... really? Heh-heh... Well, I do have a couple stories in the works. One I actually looked at last week. But it's not finished. And the other one is finished, but doesn't resemble a short story so much as it does a sumo wrestler in a string bikini... *sigh* I have such trouble writing short... So yeah, bit of work yet to do on this front.

  2. Learn to speak rudimentary but passable Chinese (Mandarin, I guess, even though everyone I work with is from Shanghai). Here I have actual progress to report! I've got a couple of co-workers teaching me words here and there, and Chik-fil-A was handing out language CDs a couple months ago. We (OK, Ms. Six) got the Chinese one and I've been listening to it on the way to work. I could probably say a couple of things, if pressed. Or bribed with enough coffee or chocolate.

  3. Learn to read/write/vaguely recognize 50 Chinese characters, plus the numbers 1-100. Fifty!?! Did I say 'fifty'? Crikey. I thought I said 20... well, I have learned a FEW... maybe 10 or so, several of which I use regularly because they're people's names. Hmmm... more work to do, I think...

  4. Complete a first revision of either NaNo 2005 (the vampire thing) or NaNo 2006 (the fantasy thing). Ha-ha-hahahhahaha! Well, naturally, I'm in the thick of Revision Hell, but not on either of these... But I figure the experience of completing a revision is the important thing, and at least, I've started on that.

  5. Teach myself some basic biostatistics (since I can't afford to take a class). At least complete one read-through of the $60 biostats book I bought myself for Christmas (I did mention being dorky, didn't I?). Well, if you didn't think I was nerdy before... yes, making progress here. Frighteningly enough, this project is turning out to be easier than expected. I guess, I've learned more than I thought possible in the last 5 years, so the biostats book is more enlightening than daunting. It's like a fill-in-the-blank test, where I already know what all the blanks are, and have to fill in the surrounding text. If that makes any sense...

  6. Teach myself some basics about protein structure (since I can't afford to take a class) by reading online molecular biology textbooks available through PubMed (since I can't afford to buy the $120 book I want). Well... I did get a hold of a book through interlibrary loan and copied some sections. Haven't actually had the time to read them, though.

  7. Complete 20 more plates in my Anatomy Coloring Book (this may sound lame, but you have no idea how hard it is to do this stuff with a husband, 2 kids, a full time job, and a house to look after). Alas! Haven't time for coloring either.


Well, I'm doing better than I thought! That's something! Guess I'll be taking the Anatomy Coloring book on vacation. It should certainly help kill a few of those long hours in the car, if nothing else...

.

No comments: