08 July 2008

Vacation Blues

So we - well, I - don't get to escape The South this year. Again.

The Husband has no appreciation for what I will suffer for this. At all. Never having been made to live someplace he despises, he can't seem to get his mind around it. Plus, he grew up here, so he can't see that the place has any faults.

I, naturally, can see pretty much only the faults.

Which sounds like I'm being overly negative, I suppose, but other than my job at FPU and the fact that I can justify a swimming pool, there just isn't much to recommend the place in my book.

And I don't even want to think about all the things I'll have to wait another year before I can see/taste/feel again.

*wails, dies*

.

9 comments:

Miss Crabby Pants said...

While I don't despise my current environs (but I have enough S of the MD experience to empathize!!), I won't be eating lobster at Newick's nor collecting shells, seaglass, and pebbles from a rocky beach, nor savoring youthful memories while sipping coffee at what used to be Cafe Brioche. I won't be smelling the lilacs nor the salty air, won't be hearing the seagulls nor the sound of boat lines slapping against their masts as they rock on their moorings.

Nope, I'm not going home this summer either.

Bethanie said...

*sobs*

Yeah... all that...

*sniffles*

Next summer for sure. You with me?

Miss Crabby Pants said...

Absofuckinglutely!

Bethanie said...

Awesome! See ya there, babe!

Meg said...

If you can't escape for good, I'd recommend a nice, long girls' weekend somewhere--preferably where you can practice your Chinese!

Good luck with that. I studied Japanese, so I know a bit about those characters.

Bethanie said...

Hi Meg! Welcome to the brain and thanks for the comment! Your blog is excellent!

I studied Japanese too, so I can read a lot of the characters for meaning in Chinese, but can't pronounce them... How fair is that?

Miss Crabby Pants said...

Well, I know you hate So Cal and it's an even longer trip than home, but I live in a predominantly Chinese neighborhood and could easily hook you up with oodles of practice opportunities. Our favorite Chinese restaurant doesn't even have an English menu!

Janet said...

oooh, Newick's! Maybe I'll take Dad up there this weekend and shot some pictures for you. I'd be more than happy to collect some shells/seaglass/pebbles (or even a sand dollar) and mail them to you. Lilacs are long gone, but I can video the seagulls and the sound of boat lines slapping against their masts as they rock on their moorings, too. Altho I realize ... it's not enough!

Bethanie said...

janet - oh, yes, please! I mean, should you need an excuse to go to Newick's... :-D