02 March 2009

Rambling

I really have nothing to say, but I haven't been writing-writing much lately, since I'm deep in the thinking part of Think Sideways and/or otherwise occupying the brain with kids, food, laundry (and more laundry!), other people's writing, and various body parts (anatomy & physiology, people! heads out of gutters, please...), so my fingers are itchy and I'm here to scratch them, I guess.

Anyway, I spent the entire weekend unplugged. I never even took my laptop out of the backpack I use to haul it to and from work-work. It was kind of nice. I got to sit in different chairs (our wireless router died 2 years ago and we haven't replaced it yet, so being online means being chained to my desk with a little blue cable...).

I got to read One for the Money by Janet Evanovitch. Never read anything by her and it was GREAT! Especially as a study in characterization. Seriously. I think it was some part of Joely's Character Clinic that mentioned if you can remove all the dialoge tags and still know who's talking, you've done a good job at characterization. Well, Janet E. has got that DOWN and it was cool to actually notice for the first time that I had read a whole page of dialoge with NO "he-said's" or "she-said's" at all and never once got confused about who was talking. Wow! Very educational. And entertaining, of course. Stephanie Plum rocks!

I also finished reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, and it's great, too. A bit slow, maybe in the middle, but I didn't mind. The characters, the twists, and the general awesomeness of imagination made up for the slowness in spades. Can't wait to read the other two in the series and now I can allow myself to see the movie! (I never, ever, if I can help it, see a movie based on a book before reading the book nor do I ever, ever read a book based on a movie. Not sure why in either case. I just don't.)

Guess that's all. :D Off to work-work!

.

3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, my friend... if you loved One for the Money, just you wait. That is the weakest in the series!!

Bethanie said...

really? wowzers! i now have 2-7 in my possession and have started 2, buuuut.... naturally am up to my FREAKIN' EYEBALLS in anatomy & physiology and don't have time to read. GAH!!! no fair!

Decoración de baños, imagenes said...

Good Site! I wondered if I would be able site some of your site and use a handful of items for a school assignment. Please let me know through email whether that would be fine. Thanks