26 April 2006

Pitchwife's Song


My heart has rooms that sigh with dust
And ashes in the hearth.
They must be cleaned and blown away
By daylight's breath.
But I cannot essay the task,
For even dust to me is dear;
For dust and ashes still recall,
My love was here.


I know not how to say farewell,
When farewell is the word
That stays alone for me to say
Or will be heard.
But I cannot speak out that word
Or ever let my loved one go.
How can I bear it that these rooms
Are empty so?


I sit among the dust and hope
That dust will cover me.
I stir the ashes in the hearth,
Though cold they be.
I cannot bear to close the door,
To seal my lonliness away
While dust and ashes yet remain
Of my love's day.


-Stephen R. Donaldson
~~White Gold Wielder~~

2 comments:

Queen K said...

Ai-e....so sad!! I thought YOU wrote this before I got to the bottom and I wondered what happened!! Was impressed by the writing, though...

Bethanie said...

Nope, can't take credit for this one... sorry for misleading. I always think of this when I'm getting nostalgic or grieving (or both). I've carried it around in a notebook a long time and spent an hour last night looking for it, since I don't have the actual book it's from any more. Decided it was time to put it somewhere I would be less likely to lose it altogether.