28 January 2007

The Incredible Pizza-Eating Baby

All the research, these days, says that babies should not start on solid foods of any kind until they're 6 months old. Just breastmilk (or formula) until then. So far as I know, babies are definitely not supposed to eat anything even remotely pizza-ish.

You just try and tell Ms. Baby that. I dare ya.

No kidding. We went out to a pizza place Friday night. Ms. Baby could not be calmed. Her cereal did not appease her. Toys were no use. She fussed and fussed and fussed - and watched intently absolutely everything that went into my mouth, tried to grab most of it and kept on fussing until - in a desperate attempt to eat in peace - I finally gave her a pizza crust of her own.

She was instantly content.

She waved her crust around and tried to get it into her mouth (we made sure The Sucky Thing was firmly in place to prevent this) and was quite happy. Until she dropped it. On the floor. Then she commenced fussing again and we had to gave her another one.

Now when Ms. Four was a baby, the word was: start cereal at 4 months, veggies at 6 months. And that's what we did and she seemed fine with it. With Ms. Baby we split the difference and started cereal at around 5 months. So maybe she's mad that she missed out on that extra month of solid food?

I don't know but I don't remember Ms. Four being anywhere near as interested in real food as Ms. Baby is. She's pretty much just pissed if we're all eating and she's not. Like this evening at supper she gobbled up her cereal and fussed and fussed and fussed until we found something else (winter squash, so what if she's not quite 6 months old yet, we were desperate). It's like she knows she's missing out on something.

And I guess that's fine, if it means she'll be a good eater. Still, I think she'll have to wait a bit on the pizza...

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I have a picture of boy #2 holding a T-bone steak in oth hands, just gnawing away, happy as can be. He can't be older than 6 months...

Chalk it up to 2nd child syndrome and let her have her cake and eat it too - you'll all be happier!
-L

Leslie said...

Umm.. That's BOTH hands. The B key is getting touchy. Time for a new laptop? If only...

Bethanie said...

A t-bone?! Wow! I think I'll try it... Perhaps then, I'll get to use both hands to eat myself!!