04 January 2007

Strange Dreams

The Dream:

************************
Ms. Baby is older - maybe 1-ish - and she has hair and can crawl and sit up by herself. She can't walk yet, so I'm carrying her. We're taking a test. It's an entrance exam for pre-school or something. An odd pre-school.

Sample question posted above a bin of yellow squash and zucchini that we have to climb over if we answer the question correctly: The zucchini are £2,08 (why it's in £s, I have no idea) per pound. If the yellow squash are 1/3 that price per pound, how much is 4 pounds of yellow squash.

Ms. Baby apparently answers correctly (not that she can speak, mind you, but somehow she does), because we clamber over the crate of yellow squash and zucchini and into a dimly lit stone room. We climb over other crates of other stuff, somehow answering equally impossible-for-a-1-year-old questions.

We come to a small, square stone door on the opposite side of the room. It slides open.

Ms. Baby goes to crawl through it. I grab her and pull her back.

There's a spider the size of a bullfrog perched on a web on the other side of the door. I know it's the size of a bullfrog because there's one caught in the web, one rear leg entangled and the other three pathetically trying to hop away.

We have to go through the door.

I'm studying the door, trying to figure out how we're going to do this without being ensnared ourselves. That's when I notice the other spider. Same species, same size, but this one is on OUR side of the door.

Just as I'm about to panic and retreat, I wake up to the sounds of the real Ms. Baby requesting breakfast as politely as she knows how.

************************

I'm not sure where all of this came from. Some of it has to do with upcoming events (Ms. Four will have to take a test to get into the local magnet school), but the spiders.... ?? Haven't seen any spiders in months, so I dunno.

The dream spiders looked like one that was in our backyard at our old house. You could hardly see them in real life.

Days later, I'm still shuddering at the size of them dream-spiders. Eep. Double eep.

2 comments:

Queen K said...

AAAAAACCCCHHHHHHHHH!!! Yucky, ucky spiders trying to eat my sis and my niece!!!

I have a feeling there is some very deep symbolism there, but my brain is soupy. I'll think about it later. Sounds like you feel trapped in a lot of ways though and possibly that there is some sort of intellectual threat to your kids?

Or you find spiders yucky and you haven't slept enough lately...you kow, one or the other! :D

Bethanie said...

Or both. Because as you know, I am very trapped and since we're residing in the BUCKLE of the frikkin' Bible Belt here in Itty-Bitty City, there... er, might be an intellectual threat or two comin' down the pike, if ya know what I mean...

Yipes. It's a wee bit freaky to have my dreams so accurately long-distance analyzed like that...