07 August 2008

Time Warp

I just spent an hour looking at photos from my high school's 20th reunion.

I didn't go. And I think I'm glad.

Well, sorta. It would have been neat seeing some of those people. But it would have been heartbreaking seeing others. (And, quite possibly, as annoying as it ever was to see the rest.)

All in all, though, it was just really shocking.

I mean, crikey - who WERE all those fat, old people??? (and somebody please, please, please tell me I'm not one of them...)

*pants, clutches chest*

OK, OK - I'm overreacting. I know I shouldn't be, but it was... disturbing... to go from this image I had of people - an image from 20 years ago - to these gray-haired, pot-bellied folk. I didn't even recognize most of them. A few here and there, I could come up with names for, but the rest melded into a sea of vaguely familiar faces.

What stood out were the smiles. The smiles and the eyes. Those were the two things that went whizzing into the dark reaches of my brain and connected with something, and then the something triggered something else somewhere that went "Oh! I should know that person..." And then I'd squint at the name tag, curse the photographer for putting the word 'Proof' right in the middle of what I needed to see, and sometimes figure it out and sometimes not.

I don't suppose it would be quite as shocking, had I had any contact with these people over the last 20 years. But I'm not good at that. In some ways, I see my past as a prison, and once you escape a prison or have served your time, why would you go back?

Makes me wonder what I'll do when the next one of these shindigs comes around.

.

No comments: