13 May 2006

Stalling

So I was bopping about online looking for I-don't-know-what when I somehow stumbled upon the following quote from Robert Jordan:

Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor?


He said this after 10 or 15 years of writing in response to his wife reminding him that, if he ever got sick of writing, he could go back to being a nuclear engineer. It made me laugh. I'm not sure why. Maybe just the sheer juxtaposition of "fantasy" and "nuclear reactor". Those two things sorta shouldn't really be in the same sentence, know what I mean?

Now I've never read anything by Robert Jordan, but I think I might just because he made me laugh.

That and a bit further down in the interview he talked about writing women characters. As in, he's done it and apparently done it very successfully. That made me feel better because I tend to like writing my male characters so much better than writing my female ones. That gets frowned upon by a lot of writer-advice people, so it's nice to see someone who's gotten away with it.

All of this, of course, is just aimless babble because I have writing to do and instead of doing it, I'm stalling.

Heh.... yeah, that chapter still isn't written. It should be done. I've had ample opportunity today. I woke up at 3:30 and instead of getting up to write it, I played solitaire on the PDA until I went back to sleep. Ms. Three watched TV this morning until 9AM when the Boring Sewing Show comes on PBS. I could have done it then, but checked work email instead and took care of a few things. Ms. Three took a two hour nap. I could have done it then, but instead took a two hour nap myself. Ms. Three went to bed two hours ago. I should have been writing all this time.

I have done a bit. I have. But I've only added a total of 342 words to the chapter today. I scribbled some notes during my nephew's soccer game (161 words). I scribbled some more notes waiting in the car while Ms. Three and the husband went shopping at Toys R Us (haven't finished typing them into the file, so I'm not sure how many words). I just can't seem to buckle down and 'git 'er done', ya know.

Part of it is that the chapter is at a point of transition. I hate transitions. It's the point between the two parts of the chapter that are very clear in my head. I can SEE Scene 1. I can SEE Scene 2. The problem is that Scene 1 takes place in the castle and Scene 2 takes place on the ship in the harbor. So now I have to get the characters from the castle to the ship. Easy, right?

Well, you would think so, but unfortunately, that's not all that's going on. See, one of the characters is a drug addict bent on slowly killing himself, the other is his cousin and best friend who is bent on saving the drug addict's life (and his own along with it). The cousin is basically getting his bluff called during the transition and I think what I'm having the most trouble with is building in his tension and fear that he might have wagered too big and be about to fuck up his whole world.

Add to that the fact that this is the prologue to the novel and there's a bunch of info dumping that I sort of have to do (without being too obvious about it). First, I have to introduce the main conflict of the novel. I mean, the main purpose of this chapter is to set in motion the events that make up the rest of the story. Without it, we are lost! EVERYTHING ELSE that happens depends on the drug addict deciding he'll stick around a bit longer (no pressure or anything, Writer Lady...). Then there are the more mundane, world-building things, the "magic" in this world, if you will. There's a lot of little details involved in that and I probably don't need to be cramming them all in this one chapter, but much of it is sort of insisting on being there (pesky, damn details).

Sigh. OK. I'm going to at least type up the rest of the notes. Even if I don't even read them as my fingers move. At least, I'll have word count happening. And something to edit tomorrow.

No comments: