16 October 2006

Twitch, Twitch

I love my job. I really, really, really love my job.

I'm not being facetious. I'm not even being sarcastic. I really do love my job.

But sometimes, the people I work for, they're enough to kill me.

Like today, for instance. I sat down to edit this manuscript. I've edited it before. It got submitted to a journal. It got rejected by the journal.

As part of being rejected by the journal, it underwent peer review. I believe there were three different reviewers and you know what? Each and every one of them said that the manuscript had - and I quote - 'many grammatical errors'.

Many. Grammatical. Errors.

You know what my job is? Correcting grammatical errors. You know what I did to that manuscript before it was submitted? I corrected the grammatical errors. You know what the first author on that paper did? He ignored my corrections of the grammatical errors. And submitted the paper with them.

You know what I think of that? Well, to quote Hermione's comment from one of those Harry Potter movies: Wot. An. Idiot.

I mean, c'maaahn. What does he think they pay me for?? Does he really assume he knows my native language better than I do? (He's Chinese and probably, in this guy's case, he does. But that's another story.)

Here's the deal, people: If I put in a 'the' and take one of yours out - trust me. If I tell you it's supposed to be 'widowed' not 'bereft of spouse' - trust me. If I break up your 99-word sentence into something the human brain can actually process - trust me. If I rewrite a whole sentence from your Abstract because it doesn't make any frikkin' sense as written - trust me.

I understand that there is an 'issue' here: I don't have an MD. I don't have a PhD. And I don't have an MA, MS, MPH or M-anything. But for fuck's sake people, I am a native English speaker, I'm not an idiot and while admittedly, there are plenty of jargon, technical and medical terms that I may not be familiar with, I always try my damndest to familiarize myself and figure out what the stardard practice is. Furthermore, I will readily admit - in writing, because I always type up my "editing notes" and send them along with the edited manuscript - when I can't figure it out.

Crikey! That will be all, people.

No comments: