22 October 2006

We’re Doing WHAT in November?

So.

I started putting together a list of what I’ll have to work around in November in order to do the Great Novel-Writing Adventure thing that is NaNoWriMo. Just so I could be prepared, ya know?

I’ve succeeded in sorta freakin’ myself out.

Here’s what I know about at the moment:

Nov 1: The usual grant deadline. This one is less of big deal, since – because I’m still working from home – the major work I’ll do on the proposals should be prior to November 1. When I’m trying to iron out my plot wrinkles. Oh well.

Nov 2: Ms. Baby's head scan. I suspect this will take up most of the morning by the time we’re done. (She has to have her head scanned because there’s a funny bump on the back on her skull. See photo.)



Nov 8: Appointment with the plastic surgeon. About Ms. Baby’s funny bump. At 7:30 in the morning. In the middle of the city. This will necessitate getting up at an ungodly hour and driving through the city’s rush hour traffic. With Ms. Baby screaming her discontent at being in her carseat the entire time. Joy.

Nov 9: The Husband’s Birthday. He doesn’t want anything for his birthday. Except to go hunting. Which means he’ll gone for part of a weekend.

Nov 10/11: More birthdays. The Husband’s stepmother’s birthday is on the 10th and his grandfather’s birthday is on the 11th. Or vice-versa I can never remember.

Nov 15-ish: The not-so-usual grant deadline. Hopefully, there won’t be a ton of work for this one, since it’s the 3rd and final submission. Hopefully.

Nov 19: Visitors. My sister-in-law and her very cute 18-month-old arrive for a 10-day visit. They live in California, so we don’t see them very often. We’ll be wanting to make up for that. I mean, look at this hair. We can’t miss out on that.


Then, there’s Thanksgiving on whatever, the 24th or something. And there will probably be more doctor's appointments, depending on what Ms. Baby’s scan shows. (Hopefully that will be nothing more than her skull is growing funny and she’ll have to wear a helmet. Hopefully.) I’m figuring at least two more fun drives into the city for that dealio.

And I’m going to try and write a novel.

Where IS my brain? I seem to have misplaced it.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey - You can't complain. Not after roping me into this whole NaNoWriMo thing. Nope, no way.

Although I was just wondering myself how this was supposed to get done this month - my mom's visiting the first week, and my in-laws the last 2 weeks, and Thanksgiving and work and household crap...

No skull scans, though - here's hoping it's nothing a helmet can't fix!

Bethanie said...

Yes, visitors tend to be the biggest monkey wrench. I used to have a good system - I'd get up at 4AM. Just can't do that these days. So I'm kinda scared. Still, I managed to get to 50K in under 30 days the other times, so I figure, somehow, I'll get there this time, too.

(Say hi to your mom for me, BTW!)