31 December 2008

NaNo... My Gahd. Will It Never END?!??

So we drove home from Florida yesterday and are safely back in Itty-Bitty City once again, where it is considerably colder than the shorts-and-T-shirt temps we had became used to. Sad, that, but one cannot vacation forever when one is not independently wealthy, which - sadder still - we are not.

The trip went well (no one puked!), but I wrote NOTHING. Instead of working on my own novel, I spent my non-driving hours reading some (truly dreadful) "stock" romance novels (I got them for free and I believe it to be an essential part of my writer education to read other fiction genres (and I learned a lot - mostly about what NOT to do - but more about that later)), regardless of whether or not they actually interest me (and let's just say "stock" romance is, erm... not my first choice).

Anyway. The point of this post is to lay out in public the fact that I have not yet completed my December goal of 22,500 words and the phrase "The End" typed at the bottom of my 2008 NaNo.

I cannot and will not accept failure.

So - it's 9:30-ish, the children are in bed and The Husband just left to pick up his dad and step-mom from the airport. I have approximately 1-1/2 hours of pretty-much-assured continuous silence without distractions -- and about 1500 words to write.

Here 'goes.

Wish me luck!

EDIT - 11:25 pm: Well, I made the 22.5K goal-for-December. Yaaay!! :-D Didn't break 80K, though. And didn't type "The End" either. On the bright side, I'm ending the day in the midst of a battle scene and Bran has an arrow embedded in his abdomen! Oh, dear. Poor, Bran... how ever shall I get him out of this one??

.

3 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Hang in there -- you're SO CLOSE! I hope you have a great New Year's Day today!

soleilnoir said...

Happy New Years Bethanie! Congrats on getting one of your objectives completed, now it's all about getting to the end-so close!

Bethanie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I'm getting discouraged at this point. I suck at endings anyway, and the fact that I THOUGHT I had this one all worked out and am still having problems with it.... well, it's not helping keeping the butt in the chair.... anyway, I've set a new goal for January, which SHOULD get me actually to "The End". I hope. :]