18 May 2008

The Cherry Tree That Wasn't

Or: Bethanie Gets an F- in Woody Plant Identification

There are a lot of flowing shrubberies and trees south of the M-DL - I mean, a LOT. Many, many more than in Yankee-land, where I grew up. Consequently, I cannot identify many, many of the flowering lovelies.

And that is my excuse for what follows.

You see, we have this lovely cherry tree in our side yard that bloomed beautifully last year:



Aren't those blossoms gorgeous?!??


Simply stunning! Then we got a late frost, and the budding cherries ended up looking like itty-bitty burnt up marshmallows. They're the little black things in the photo on the left, which are hard to see, so on the right, is a photo of my pears, which suffered the same fate.






It was very sad. Heart-breaking, in fact. But this is not that story.

No, this is the story of this year, the year we did not get a late frost that killed everything. The year that everything bloomed beautifully. The year that Ms. Almost-Six came up to me and said, "Mama! Mama! Come look at the cherries!"

I rushed over to the cherry tree to find these - the biggest, damn cherries I've ever seen:



Then Ms. Almost-Six brought me two of them. Two. They filled her entire hand.

For scale, here she is climbing the um-maybe-this-isn't-a-cherry tree:



Indeed. I think them there are what some folks call 'plums'...

.

4 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Plums, cherries, who cares so long as they taste good?

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

As long as they're pretty...who cares? I wouldn't know a cherry from a plum tree either.

Bethanie said...

I know, I know, it's just that eons ago, I did study this stuff and sorta should know...

Oh well - now I'm just hoping the new-found plums and the pears don't get buggy and we actually get to eat some!!

Janet said...

mmm...you should go read my cousin's blog and see what she does with all her plums, pears, apples, cherries, etc., etc.! (www.dackelprincess.com)