20 May 2008

Double Vision. Comin' Up.

So my sister-in-law, Ms. Beautiful (no, really, she is), has a three-year-old and finally convinced her husband that if they were going to have another kid, they might as well do it now.

So they've been trying. A few weeks ago, Ms. Beautiful was in town on a visit from the Land of Palm Trees and Long, Sandy (Non-Rocky) Beaches otherwise known as L.A., where she lives. She talked lots about babies and then made the Big Announcement: they're pregnant!

And then she flew back to the Land of Palms and Beaches and emailed a couple of photos from her trip and everything was peachy.

Today, my mother-in-law called me and said, "Are you sitting down? If not, find a spot and sit."

"What? Why?" I croaked (I lost my voice over the weekend). The first thing that popped into my mind was that something awful had happened.

"Ms. Beautiful had her ultrasound today," she said.

I could hear some weird undertone in her voice that I couldn't quite identify. Amusement? Excitement? Fear? I couldn't quite tell. My heart started pounding.

"What!??" I demanded as best I could.

"She's having twins!" my mother-in-law crowed.

And then, I screeched myself even more hoarse than I already was. Shock, amazement, excitement, disbelief - you name it, I felt it.

I mean, twins run in that side of The Husband's family - mother-in-law's brothers are twins - so we all had it in the back of our minds that such a thing was possible, but... oh man, none of us were prepared for this. Yikes.

Should be quite the adventure.

.

1 comment:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Congrats to Ms. Beautiful and your family! We always thought twins "sounded" neat, but in reality, it would have killed us. Having 2 in diapers even 17 months apart was tough.