05 May 2008

In A Pickle

So a year and a half ago, I brought Ms. Then-4-1/2-Now-Almost-Six to take the 'entrance exam' for the magnet school, which happens to be down the street from us. She passed, her name went into the fishbowl, and then her name got drawn out of the fishbowl.

Seventh. On the waiting list.

And so we sort of wrote off the whole magnet school thing, because I didn't go back and get her tested again, so she could end up on the waiting list again this year.

Only that's not the way it works.

She was still on the waiting list. And some very nice lady from the magnet school called me Thursday afternoon last week to tell me they have a spot open for first grade next year and do we want it?

Should be a simple one, right? We wanted her to go there, so we should just say, yeah, sure sign us up!

Only I'm pretty happy with her current school. She's pretty happy with her current school.

And now I'm not seeing the point of the uniforms and the accelerated this and that and the required sports playing.

And I'm feeling all awful about even considering taking her away from her friends and sticking her into a place where she doesn't know anybody, doesn't know the rules, doesn't even know where the damn bathrooms are.

And what the hell was I thinking anyway - it's not like there are any bad schools in HSH in the first place...

And we have to tell them yes or no by noon tomorrow.

Fuck.

The only thing worse than making hard decisions for yourself is having to make them for somebody else.

.

5 comments:

Busy Dad Mumbles said...

Do what you think is best. Your time and attention makes the school the rest is window dressing.

Good luck in your decision.

Busy Dad

Bethanie said...

Thanks, Busy Dad.

After much 'discussion' last night, we decided we'll switch her to the magnet school. I'm still feeling less than 100% about it, but it came down to this: both The Husband and I felt like we got through school without having to try very hard, and we both feel like we're struggling now (relatively speaking) and because we weren't ever made to work hard. We don't want that to happen to our kids.

I just hope this isn't a case of 'living through your kids'.... I would hate that.

Oh well. Here's hoping it works out.

Miss Crabby Pants said...

The thing with parenting is this: there are no right decisions. It sounds like neither path will lead to disaster, so either one will be fine. Really.

Nap Warden said...

I got nothin', school decisions are tough. Good luck to you:)

Bethanie said...

Thanks for the support, y'all. :)

I got an email from an assistant principal today explaining a bit about expectations etc at the magnet school, and I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now.

We haven't told Ms. Five/Six yet, but I think she'll be cool with it. Eventually, anyway.