16 April 2008

Customizable Quote Widget

So I have this collection of quotes that I like. I keep it in a Word document on my computer, which is nice because all the quotes are in one place.

I have often wished, though, that I could display them somehow - have a new one pop up every day when I turn my computer on or something. I haven't found anything that will do that yet, but I thought, hey! surely there's a widget that I could put on my blog that would do that.

I commenced searching.

And I discovered that there are LOTS of quote widgets out there, but most of them are stocked with someone else's idea of a good quote. Now that is all well and good, but I wanted to load my widget with my own collection of good quotes, and short of learning java and programming a widget myself, it was looking like I was going to be out of luck.

And then I found this:

http://blogger-hacked.blogspot.com/2006/09/quote-of-day-widget.html

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

Now in order to add your own quotes, you do have to get in there and edit the code, which might be intimidating, if you've never done such a thing. But it's pretty straightforward as long as you don't forget any "s or ;'s, or put any "s inside of other "s. Heh.

Seriously, the author of the code actually seems to be pretty responsive to questions and requests for help in the comments to the post linked above. He'll take a look at your code, if you're having problems and tell you how to fix it, which is really pretty cool.

Anyway, I now have my very own, customized quote widget sitting over there at the top of my sidebar, which is, as they say where I come from, wicked cool!

No comments: