23 April 2008

urgh .... drugs .... urgh ....

Thanks to the Evil Pollen Pixies, I woke up this morning with my eyes stuck shut and otherwise looking like 2-day old roadkill.

So I hiked over to FPU's Medical Center and got in to see one of the nice residents, who told me to take cetirizine (a.k.a. Zyrtec) and "hit the Flonase hard" (yes, those were his exact words).

I already had the Flonase, but had never tried cetirizine. I got some and noticed that, compared to the 825 milligram antibiotics I was taking last summer, they're tiny: only 10 milligrams.

Doubtful, I wondered if they'd do anything, popped one and went about my business. For about 20 minutes.

And then I got knocked flat on my fat ass for the next 2 hours.

The Husband claimed he called during this time and that I sounded "high as a kite". And perhaps I did. I don't remember much except having extreme difficulty concentrating on more than one thing at a time. By the time he got home with dinner, it was all I could do to stay awake, and once he was in the house, I gave up on that and took a nap.

10 milligrams. Tiny.

Moral of story: Do not judge a pill by its size.

[Oh, and besides knocking me out, it actually works - my eyes no longer look like marshmellows and the itchiness has descended into the realm of the bearable.]

.

3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

If the Zyrtec makes you bonkers, try Allegra or Claritin. I haven't tried Claritin (but my daughter is the 4% who is adversely affected by it), but Allegra puts me to sleep.

Zyrtec actually hypes me a bit. I use Zyrtec D and only a half-dose, at that (usually). If I take that second dose too late in the evening, I can't sleep.

Gabriele C. said...

Zyrtec doesn't work for me at all. I use the Loratandine stuff, and chromoglycineacid nose spray. The trick is to start with both the pills and the spray about two weeks ere the pollen pixies get their dust business running. That way I escape symptoms as long as the birch pollen cocentration isn't too high, and later I can at least live with the symptoms.

Though it's still not fun.

Bethanie said...

Well, it's interesting how different drugs affect different people... er, differently. :)

I tried both Allegra and Claritin-D, and neither of them really did much of anything and the Zyrtec doesn't hype me at all. In fact, I've been taking it in the evening and I sleep about a thousand times better than normal (after I get over the initial loopy- and sleepiness, that is).

Probably something genetic, if I had to guess...